Long Beach, CA DUI Lawyers
When you’ve been arrested for a DUI, it might feel like your life is over. In addition to terrifying penalties ranging from fines to imprisonment, you’re likely to face judgment from friends and family, the potential loss of your employment, guilt over damage you may have caused, and even anger due to an unsubstantiated or overblown charge.
Despite the emotional turmoil you’re surely feeling, you don’t have to deal with the consequences alone. Confianza Legal has a compassionate, knowledgeable team of Long Beach DUI lawyers with the experience it takes to fight for your rights in court. Building a DUI defense starts the moment you are pulled over, so it’s essential you call for a free consultation as soon as possible.
Possible Penalties For A DUI Conviction
The penalties for a DUI are determined based on several factors. Most will count as misdemeanors, except in cases where you have three or more previous DUIs within the past ten years, already have a felony DUI on your record, or caused an accident that injured or killed someone. In the latter case, you will likely be facing a charge of vehicular manslaughter.
Depending on the specifics of your case, here are some consequences you can expect from a DUI conviction:
- Fines of up to $2000, plus court fees; in cases where your driving has caused injuries, these numbers can be impacted by restitution fees
- Jail or prison time ranging from six months to two years; in causes where you have caused injuries or fatality, you could be looking at four years to life
- Probation up to five years
- Time-consuming DUI courses
- License suspension from six months up to four years
- An increase in your auto insurance rates, or even the cancellation of your policy
- A marred criminal record
- Loss of employment and the cancellation of licenses or certifications
- An ignition interlock device that will require you to pass a breathalyzer test before you drive
- Stigma in the eyes of the family and friends
- Emotional impacts, including guilt or loss of self-worth
If you don’t want your life to feel defined by your DUI and the resulting consequences, you need someone in your corner who is going to understand these penalties and the roadmap to fighting them. Our team of aggressive Long Beach DUI lawyers is positioned to defend you against the legal storm.
Possible Defenses For A DUI
Potential defenses for a DUI charge begin to accumulate as soon as you are pulled over for suspicion of intoxication, which is why it’s important to retain a DUI lawyer as quickly as possible. The prosecution will attempt to convict you based on factors like a failed breathalyzer test, your blood alcohol content (BAC), signs of impaired driving such as weaving between lanes or driving in the wrong lane, and physical characteristics such as bloodshot eyes or the smell of alcohol on your breath. Here are some possible defenses your legal team will construct based on the specifics of your case:
- No probable cause for the police to pull you over. Dash and body cameras can be used in your defense against charges of reckless driving.
- Defects in a breathalyzer test or calculation of your BAC. Factors like weight can mitigate the efficacy of these tests. Moreover, tests can be badly calibrated or simply inaccurate.
- Difference of opinion in signs of intoxication. If physical characteristics like bloodshot eyes or stumbling during field sobriety tests are listed on the police report, photo and video records might contradict these claims.
- Claims like the smell of alcohol on your breath are circumstantial and easy to dismiss in court.
A good legal team will consider these defenses and more when reviewing your case, which is why it’s never too soon to get in contact with a reputable team of Long Beach DUI lawyers.
The penalties of a marijuana DUI are similar to those for driving under the influence of alcohol: jail time up to six months, a fine of up to $1000 plus court fees, a suspended driver’s license, DUI school for up to nine months, and up to five years of probation.
If you’ve been accused of driving under the influence of marijuana, don’t be discouraged! Marijuana DUIs are more difficult to prove since there aren’t reliable ways to test for impairment and, in the state of California, there is no recognized legal limit to determine intoxication. There are several strategies for defense that might be relevant to your case, including evaluating the circumstances of the traffic stop, challenging the accuracy of any tests administered, and questioning whether or not you actually used marijuana before driving.
Our Long Beach DUI Lawyers Will Fight For Your Rights
With 30 years of combined experience, the Confianza Legal team has the knowledge and skill to review the details of your case and mount an aggressive defense. Our goal is to have the DUI charges against you reduced or dropped completely so that you can move on with your life and goals. When you schedule a free consultation with us, we will go over the details of your case, review the charges you’re facing, and discuss strategies for your defense. Don’t wait to book a free consultation today!